We absolutely adore working with little ones, and we can't explain the joy of delivering photo's to new parents and seeing their eyes light up. However, before all this happens we have the fun job of capturing the photos. Today their are wonderful sights that provide ideas for sessions, and it's true we see these and our expectations are high to get that perfect adorable shot. However, our little ones sometimes have other ideas in mind. Below we will provide a few quick tips on how to prepare your little ones for a awesome session!
1. Choose a location that you know your little ones love! Part of capturing great photos is having the kids be comfortable. Many kids are shy or nervous; especially when it comes to stranger. Though we see all our clients as great friends, we know that kids can still be hesitant when they first meet us. Choosing a spot that they will feel comfortable to roam around and be themselves is vital!
2. Don't be afraid to be silly! Sing their favorite songs, tunes, and nursery rhymes. It's perfectly fine to do those chicken dances and get the kids laughing and running about. All these will help them to feel comfortable. We also like to urge you to take a few portrait with your little ones, so they can see how comfortable you are too!
3. It's okay to let your kids to be themselves, as we have noticed on many sessions sometimes kids want to play or pick flowers. That is completely okay. We want kids to feel in their element and totally at ease. We actually have come to see that parents usually end up liking the more natural and lifestyle shots, rather then the posed portrait. So just step back and allow you little one to do them, you'll be amazed how photogenic they naturally are!
4. Timing is everything, so parents of small children who still nap throughout they day wit to mindful to schedule sessions around those naps. I personally found that photographing kids after there afternoon naps and snacks provide the best playful spirit and sweet smiles! Be mindful to pack some extra snacks and toys; they may come in handy for those baby breakdowns. (And if not your photog will gladly eat the snacks)
5. Lastly know its ok for them to be not okay. Just like adults sometimes your little ones are just not having a good day, and aren't in the mood for pictures. Most photographers are understanding of this and typically are open to rescheduling a shoot. Don't feel pressured to force them into taking the portraits, as this can cause them to be even more frustrated, and you won't be happy with the end result. We want the session to be something everyone enjoys and remembers as a happy experience. So its okay to reschedule, because not everything always goes according to plan.
All in all. When you prepare your little ones in most cases things will of just fine. Not only do you want them to be prepared to have a fun time, but also yourself. Leave all your adulating in the care and find your inner kid! I promise you'll get the best portrait of your child ever!